Osteoporosis is a condition in which the bones become so thin and fragile that they may break easily and lead to walking difficulty, permanent disability, or even death. Other serious consequences include bone injuries, severe back pain, and deformity that require cast work, hospitalization, and even major surgery. Osteoporosis is one of the many conditions that usually occur in elderly especially menopausal women. However, there are some natural osteoporosis treatments you can incorporate to fight it. Some possible osteoporosis causes include:
- As a part of our normal aging process in which our bodies start to produce lesser calcium and breakdown bone faster resulting in more fragile bone.
- Women are more prone to osteoporosis since most women have lesser bone density than men. Also, after menopause, women will experience rapid bone loss because of decrease in oestrogen production.
- People with a family history of osteoporosis are those at the highest risk of getting osteoporosis.
- Live a sedentary lifestyle also increases risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Smoking, alcohol abuse, taking steroids and a diet low in calcium and vitamin D all may be osteoporosis causes.
- Having kidney failure, liver disease, glandular disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other aging related diseases may lead to osteoporosis.
- Certain drugs such as steroids, seizure drugs and thyroid hormone also found to cause osteoporosis.
Loss of bone mass is inherent in aging for both men and women, but women are more susceptible to it. This is added by menopause which every woman will go through. Menopause (especially post menopause
) increases the risk of developing osteoporosis because a menopausal woman is not protected by oestrogen hormone anymore. Oestrogen plays an important role in bone health. For pre-menopausal women, cigarette smoking decreases oestrogen level, thereby decreasing bone mass
and eventually leading to osteoporosis.
Natural osteoporosis treatment
- The best natural osteoporosis treatment is to prevent it by strengthening your bones through a combination of healthy lifestyle and dietary.
- Maintain an ideal body weight.
- Eat foods that are high in calcium to promote bone growth such as sardines, salmon, seafood, soy products and green leafy vegetables.
- Foods that are rich in vitamin D e.g. salmon, mackerel, sardines, eggs, tuna, vegetable oil and cod liver oil are all natural osteoporosis treatments.
- Get 15-20 minutes of sunbathe daily to increase production of vitamin D.
- Include weight-bearing exercise, weight training and aerobic exercise in your exercise routine to prevent fragile bones.
- Discontinue smoking, avoid carbonated soft drinks and reduce salty foods.
- When needed, take high-quality supplements prescribed by your doctor.
- Avoid accidents that may injure your bones and joints.
Osteoporosis medical treatment
Osteoporosis patients will need medical treatments and nurse interventions. There are some medications that might be prescribed by doctors to treat osteoporosis such as raloxifen
and risedronate, oestrogen supplements, etc. When needed, pain killer drugs e.g. dolobid, naproxen
, motrin, ibuprofen
, voltaren, etc. may also be prescribed.
Doing exercise routinely at an early age helps you to gain good muscle mass and strength thus decreases risk of developing Osteoporosis when you are getting old. A healthy diet regimen consists of enough calcium, vitamin D and other essential minerals for the bones and muscles will also help reduce changes of getting Osteoporosis. These are all natural osteoporosis treatments.
Osteoporosis is a problem that need to be faced by anyone in their later years and you should do all that you can to keep your bones strong and prevent osteoporosis starting from now.