We all know, in winters, our skin, hair and body need more care and we have to put an effort to keep them healthy and beautiful but when it comes to lips we either ignore them or when it can not be ignored, we manage with petroleum jelly or expensive lip balms which we see in TV, newspaper or magazine ads. But we fail to realize that having those well moisturized and beautiful lips in winters is not about all these. It is about learning how to take care of your lips and developing some good habits related to lips and weather conditions. Lips are part of our skin and also become vulnerable due to winters. Skin of lips is very thin and sensitive which makes it more prone to damages caused by dryness in winters.
Following are some tips which will help you understand lip care and avoid chapped lips in winters:
- If you have a habit of licking your lips, you might already know how much worse and painful chapping of lips becomes after licking. So the solution is simple. Stop licking your lips. Instead, keep a lip balm handy so that whenever you feel your lips are drying, then instead of making them wet by licking apply the lip balm.
- Never bite your lips. Biting is as bad as licking your lips. Biting lips will result in bleeding and cracked lips.
- Touching lips with fingers will not only dry your lips but it also transfers the bacteria on your hands to your lips and cause infections.
- Some level of dehydration is also possible in winters as water intake becomes less due to the cold weather. So drinking 7-8 glasses of water is also important to maintain hydration level in winters which also affects moisture of your lips.
- Aging has drying effect on lips, so with age keep improving your eating habits, nutrition in your food and drink lots of water.
- In winters, use lip balm or some sort of moisturizing agent on your lips before applying any kind of lipsticks. If you have to reapply the lipstick then put an effort to remove the lipstick which you had applied earlier and then again apply lip balm first and put lipstick over it.
- Stay away from smoking as it is bad for your lips. Smoking spoils the original color of your lips. Your lips become dry, thin and blue or black in color because of smoking. In winters, when lips easily get dried and need more moisture and more care, spoiling their texture and drying them further by smoking is not advisable.
- There is another rule which is never leave your lipstick on while going to sleep. This is also very important and must be followed even in winters.
- Exfoliate your lips with sugar and olive oil with your fingers or toothbrush to remove dead skin from your lips.
- Apply honey directly on your lips or mix few drops of lemon with it. Keep it on your lips for around 20 minutes and wash. Honey and lemon are very good antioxidants, and will keep your lips young and beautiful forever.
- Apply aloe Vera gel on your lip. Aloe Vera will provide nutrition and hydrate your lips.
- Apply ghee on your lips if your have dry skin and nothing works effectively on your lips. This will soften your lips and make them healthy.
- Don’t let your lips get dry or chap after washing face or cleaning your mouth. Immediately apply something to moisturize them as you do for your face.
By following these tips, you will never have chapped lips in winters. Instead, the luster of your lips will be something which others will desire to have. Now you have learnt the secret of soft and smooth lips
and you don’t have to depend on the variety of lip care products available in the market.