Bartholinitis: An infection of the Bartholin’s glands
- Posted on- Oct 28, 2015
- 472 Views
Bartholinitis is a disease that affects exclusively women, and is inflammation in the Bartholin’s glands found in both sides of the vagina, at the same height as the inner labia and the vaginal wall. Their purpose is to keep the vagina lubricated during sexual relations.
This condition can be very easily treated, especially when detected in time and no greater impact on the woman’s sexual development.
Inflammation is produced when a small orifice that releases fluid to lubricate the vagina becomes obstructed. This fluid comes from the Bartholin’s glands. Once this exit route it obstructed, the fluid continues to be produced but it cannot leave, and therefore accumulates, slowly causing a round lump on the edge of the vagina. This lump can grow and become inflamed, and even become the size of an almond, to an orange. In some cases it becomes infected as well, but the obstruction is not always due to an infection. When an infection is present, it is known as a Bartholin abscess.
What are the causes of Bartholinitis?
Symptoms of Bartholinitis
- A body saturated in toxins, which accumulate in different areas of the body, like in these glands.
- Lack of feminine hygiene, using tight clothing or synthetic fibres.
- Excessive stress could cause this inflammation.
- If infected, this could be caused by bacteria on the skin, known as Escherichia coli, or it could also be produced by staphylococcus and streptococcus. It could also be caused by sexually transmitted diseases, like chlamydia and gonorrhoea.
- Emotional cause: feeling dirty or “tainted” as a woman, silent complaints towards one’s partner, feeling guilty or unworthy as a woman, angry with oneself, etc., are emotional attitudes that the body could rebel against, producing this condition.
Natural treatment for Bartholinitis
- Dark red inflammation in the area
- According to the intensity of the infection and if a lump fills with a smelly fluid that has a strong and unpleasant odour
- Strong pain and burning
- Pain and inflammation could increase if the woman stands or walks too much
If you suffer Bartholinitis, natural treatment would consist of cleansing the body and using natural anti-inflammatory and antibiotics. These can help lessen the infection if there is one, and to cleanse the body to reduce inflammation and regulate blood pH.
Follow a day-long diet, eating just pineapple pieces. Start by drinking two tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil before breakfast, and a glass of warm water with a few drops of lemon in it. Then, eat solely pineapple throughout the entire day and one piece of fresh ginger, the size of your thumb. Wash and disinfect it well, preferably at night. If it scalps your tongue, try to withstand it for a while, drinking warm water. Pineapple’s benefits are so great, that it’s worth it to wait for its medicinal effects.
If you have a lot of inflammation, you should follow this diet for two consecutive days, but eat papaya or grapes with seeds for the second day. Drink fresh water, at least two litres a day, during both days.
On the third day, eliminate anything refined from your diet, like white sugar, cow’s milk and refined grains as well as red meat and chicken. Your diet should consist of steamed vegetables, vegetable soup, whole grain, rice, etc. for a week. Start the day by eating something citrus, and taking the two tablespoons of olive oil. Don’t forget to drink enough water.
You need to tend to your feelings, be it with respect either for yourself, or for a sexual partner. If you are holding on to resentment or guilt, your body will show it in a lot of ways, and this is just one of those ways. So, work with your stress and learn to not criticize nor judge what you have done, lived or decided in your life.
In the vast majority of cases, the Bartholin gland
cysts are not infected, but a biopsy is always recommended to discard an underlying tumour in the Bartholin gland, especially in older women.