Uterine fibroids are benign cell growths inside the uterus. They are in no way related to uterine cancer and their occurrence is pretty common. They are made of muscle fibres that are similar to the uterine lining, but are a little denser. They resemble a circular or semi circular rubbery mass. Their size can range from a few millimetres to massive ones that weigh several pounds. Mostly, uterine fibroids go undetected in the absence of specific symptoms. However, larger fibroids or multiple ones may need to be removed surgically.
Those diagnosed with having uterine fibroids should not be worried and just awareness is basically the first and key step in dealing with this condition. Some of the important facts you should know when dealing with fibroids are as follows:
- Uterine fibroids are benign in nature. What this means is that they do not cause any adverse health conditions in most women. Typically these fibroids appear from the age of 20 to around 40 and they may shrink on their own after menopause. As mentioned above, most women carrying these fibroids are not even aware of it and do not feel any kind of discomfort.
- The most adverse side-effect of uterine fibroids is usually causing infertility. This happens because as the fibroids grow, they start bending or altering the shape of other organs around it. Obviously being present in the uterus, the first organ that gets affected is the natural shape of the uterus. Blocked fallopian tubes are another problem faced by growing fibroids and it ends up creating an irregular menstrual cycle for women. With the uterus and fallopian tubes affected, the final result is infertility as a woman would face uncertainty and difficulties in conceiving a child.
- While it is true that presence of uterine fibroids can cause infertility in women, it is also true that these can be dissolved or shrunk naturally without the need of heavy medication or surgical treatments. In fact natural fibroid remedies are recommended as they aid healthy pregnancy and create an overall sense of well being in a woman suffering from uterine fibroids. Natural treatments usually consist of specially formulated combination of herbs and other holistic ingredients found in nature. Medication and surgical treatments are not recommended as they may have adverse side-effects and in general are not 100% effective. Hence natural treatments should always be the first priority.
- Even with the presence of uterine fibroids, it is possible to get pregnant. There may be some lifestyle related changes required but overall it is not an impossible condition. If the size of your fibroids is negligible, then no treatment may be required at all. Just precaution and lifestyle amendments will do. However, regular checkups and monitoring growth of the fibroids may be required to ensure you go through a healthy pregnancy and do not face any sudden issues at a later stage.
- The most important thing to note is that there is no need to panic. It is highly common and almost half of all women have fibroids in their uterus some time or the other. There are times when these fibroids shrink on their own or simple natural remedies are enough to dissolve them and ensure a good healthy pregnancy.