There are a wide variety of natural ingredients which can be used to make an effective ayurvedic medicine for cough. The formulation is obtained by combining various herbs that soothe the throat and provide relief from this condition instantly.
In order to understand the preparation of ayurvedic medicine for cough, you need to first know the different forms of cough a person suffers from and their respective terminology in the science of ayurveda.
The 5 types of cough are kshayaja, kaphaja, vataja, pittaja, and kshataja. Kshayaja and kshataja are the most serious conditions where pus along with blood is sometimes observed with the sputum. Vataja is also known as hacking cough and very dry phlegm comes out while coughing. Kaphaja is the condition when there's a slimy and thick mucus discharge while pittaja cough refers to the yellow sputum with streaks of blood in it.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Cough
While preparing an ayurvedic remedy for cough, you can check for these ingredients, which are especially effective in treating this condition.
Ayurvedic Recipes to Treat Cough
- Bay Berry
- Black Pepper
- Belleric Myrobalan
The list mentioned above consists of the names of a few herbs that are used for the effective treatment of cough and its associated symptoms. A formulation is made using these ingredients that serve as natural remedies.
- The best ayurvedic medicine for cough is made with ginger. Boil a few slices of ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, clove, and fennel seeds in a cup of hot water. Steep the herbs for 10-15 minutes. Now strain them in another vessel and sip the concoction while it is warm. This gives instant relief to people suffering from whooping cough.
- Powder liquorice, basil leaves, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. Take enough quantity so that the mixture comes to at least 3 teaspoons. Boil one cup of water and mix the powder in it. You can add honey for a better taste. Drink the liquid warm to relieve your throat from irritation and constant cough.
- Grind black pepper and cinnamon. Take 3 teaspoons of ghee and boil the ingredients in it. Mix them in the ghee while it boils. You can add a little water to dilute it. Let it cool a little and sip at one shot. You can also massage your child's throat and chest with the same. This is a very effectual ayurvedic medicine for cough in children.
- Boil raw turmeric in a glass of warm milk. Add a few strands of saffron/kesar to it. Strain the milk once before drinking. You can also add turmeric powder or paste instead of the raw root. Drink the turmeric milk warm. You should consume this every morning to get quick results in a couple of days. This also helps to boost your immune system.
- One good homemade remedy is prepared from honey and basil leaves. In 2 teaspoons of honey, grind 10 basil leaves. Make a paste and eat it early in the morning. You can also mix lemon juice and water to the paste for dilution. This is a great treatment to get rid of cough naturally.
- You can make a solution by boiling fenugreek, black pepper, and caraway seeds in water along with a pinch of salt. Let it become warm and then gargle with this solution thrice a day. You will get immense relief from sore throat and the dry cough will disappear within a few days.
Each of these is highly effective in alleviating the discomfort of the ailment. The herbs will also strengthen your resistivity and immunity and you will be less susceptible to infections. Try them and get quick results.