|Article Views: 260|
|Ayurvedic medicines for osteoporosis|
|Posted on Oct 20, 2015|
|As we age, the bones begin to weaken to some extent. This is a natural phenomenon and it is quite common among the elderly today. But in some cases, the bones become so weak and fragile that fractures occur. Cracks and they can often break under their own weight. In such cases, people suffer from a disease called osteoporosis. This means that bones become so weak that small tiny pores are formed and they start to erode more than necessary. Mineral density is reduced in the bones and this result in low bone mass and thus bone thinning occurs. |
Osteoporosis is a condition of decreased bone density, decreasing its strength and result in brittle bones. Osteoporosis leads to literally abnormally porous bone that is compressible like a sponge. This disorder of the skeleton weakens the bone and results in frequent fractures (breaks) in the bones. Normal bone is composed of protein, collagen and calcium all the bones that provide strength. Bones affected by osteoporosis can break (fracture), with relatively minor injuries that normally would not cause a bone fracture. The fracture can be either in the form of cracking (as in a hip fracture) or collapsing (as in a compression fracture of the vertebra of the spine). The spine, hips, ribs, and wrists are common areas of bone fractures from osteoporosis, although osteoporosis-related fractures can occur in almost any bone in the skeleton.
From the Ayurvedic point of view, the bones are also not seen as static and immovable structures. As everything else in the universe, they are continuously being rebuilt and remodeled. Based on your diet (if not well balanced), and certain constitutional types as defined in the Ayurvedic guidelines the disease will manifest itself.
Ayurvedic view on the main cause of osteoporosis is the accumulation of ether (Vata dosha) and air in the bone structure. This in turn creates the condition of fragile bones that break easily because of the unbalanced overflow of these two elements.
In the beginning of the condition, the symptoms might be completely unrelated to typical signs of osteoporosis. With time, however, Vata overflows many other parts of the body and eventually it more or less permanently settles in the patient’s bones and then the osteoporosis is finally identified.
Ayurvedic treatment for osteoporosis consists of various parts at various stages and one of the most important and suggested actions are to implement and maintain overall balanced and healthy life-style. Proper diet, regular exercise recommended for your Ayurvedic body type, emotional development and spiritual practice are just some of a few pieces of the puzzle that comprise the prevention of osteoporosis, and any other illness for that matter.
Ayurvedic treatment for osteoporosis is simple to follow and helps relieve the problem naturally. Some effective home remedies are listed below.
- Pop some sesame seeds every morning. An effective home remedy for osteoporosis, sesame seeds provide 1,000 mg of natural calcium in a handful.
- Dandelion tea is also considered to be helpful in treating osteoporosis. It helps to increase bone density.
- Almond milk is another good home remedy to cure osteoporosis. It is a rich source of calcium which is required for healthy bones. You can easily make it at home by soaking almonds in warm water, peeling, grinding and mixing with milk.
- Vitamin D helps the body in calcium absorption and augments bone health. When the body is exposed to sunlight, it converts cholesterol into vitamin D. Therefore the easiest ayurvedic cure for osteoporosis is generous exposure of the body to sunrays for 30 minutes every day.
- The best ayurvedic cure for osteoporosis is consuming soy products. Since imbalances of hormones result in bone loss, soy products help in balancing the oestrogen levels required for women suffering from osteoporosis.
- Manganese is a vital mineral for treating osteoporosis according to the latest studies. Ayurvedic experts recommend inclusion of manganese rich foods such as pineapples, spinach, beans, nuts and whole wheat in the diet.
- Yet another ayurvedic cure for osteoporosis is brussel sprouts also known to prevent diseases such as cancer and heart problems. These sprouts provide vitamin K that protects the bones against osteoporosis.
- Moreover, ayurvedic treatments such as Panchakarma are practiced to treat osteoporosis since ages. Consult an expert to follow this age-old ayurvedic therapy.
Osteoporosis can be effectively cured with some lifestyle changes and consumption of a diet rich in calcium, protein and vitamin D which are vital for bone composition and bone health. At the same time, it is also recommended to follow an exercise regime such as swimming, walking or yoga to treat osteoporosis naturally.
|Written by : Lazoi Team |