Asthma is a respiratory disease characterized by shortness of breath and recurrent attacks of breathlessness accompanied with wheezing. The condition arises due to inflammation of the respiratory passages that reduces the space for air movement in and out of the lungs. The frequency of these attacks varies from person to person.
An allergy is defined as the over-reaction given by our immune system to any substance or organism that induces swelling, inflammation, rash, and sensitive skin in the person’s body. It could be due to some chemical, pollen particle, microorganism, or any other foreign particle.
What are the causes of asthma or allergy?
A variety of causes can be attributed to the appearance of asthma and allergy in any person. Listed here are a few of them:
What are the symptoms of asthma or allergy?
- A family history of asthma or allergy
- Tobacco smoke: active or passive
- Food allergy
- Infections in airways and chest
- Being exposed to allergens
- Airborne allergens
- Psychological factors
- Weather changes
The common symptoms seen in asthmatic patients are:
How can ayurveda help in maintaining asthma and allergies?
Ayurveda uses the inherent power of natural herbs to bring about wonderful results on the human body. The herbs are natural and 100% safe. Ayurveda helps to naturally enhance the body functioning in an herbal way. The herbs for asthma and allergy help decrease the asthma symptoms in an herbal natural way. The ayurvedic herbs for asthma
aid in the betterment of the respiratory system and prevent asthma. Herbs in ayurveda that help in asthma and allergy are as follows:
- Bambusa Arudinacea (Vanshlochan): This Ayurvedic herb acts as a suppressant of cough and help keep the respiratory system clean. It helps in problems like dry cough and sore throat. It is typically used in Kaas-har churna.
- Piper Longum (Pippali): Pippali is very effective in case of mucus and cold conditions in the lungs. It enhances vasodilatation and blood circulation to the lungs. It has decongestant, bronchodilator and expectorant properties. It rejuvenates the lungs. People who are prone to frequent colds can get relief from the symptoms by using Pippali. This herb is used in kaas-har churna.
- Elletteria Cardamomum (Ela): It is commonly known as cardamom. Its seeds possess warm and pungent properties. It has a sweet taste and reduces Vata and Kapha. This herb is effective in sore throat and hoarseness caused because of influenza and cold. The sweet aromatic flavour of the seeds helps as a breath freshener. These seeds are used for depression, impotency, oral disorders and hiccups. The oil extracted from the seeds is used in pharmacy, perfumery and for flavouring curries and desserts. Kaas-har churna has this herb.
- Cinnamomum Zeylanica (Dalchini): It is also a common spice used in Indian cooking. It shows properties which act against the pathogenic microbes present in the respiratory tract. Cough related problems can be eliminated effectively by using this herb. It helps in expelling excess mucus from the lungs and respiratory tract. Breathing difficulties like cough, cold and bronchitis show positive results with this herb. Cinnamon leaves can be boiled and the decoction can be used to relieve flatulence. It improves memory and complexion. A pinch of cinnamon powder should be mixed with honey and consumed regularly for better results. It acts as a mouth freshener. A paste of cinnamon powder can be mixed with few drops of lime juice and applied on acne and pimples. It forms an integral part of Indian Ayurvedic system since ages. It soothes cough and cold related symptoms. The herb is used in kaas-har churna and Praanrakshak churna.