Diabetes, as we are all aware, is a silent killer. Once its seeds are sown within the human body, it gradually starts casting its ominous shadow on the metabolic system of the victim and specifically targets and cripples the metabolism of glucose, leading to high blood glucose levels in diabetes. Diabetes manifests in two variations - type 1 and type 2.
Nowadays, much attention is being given to Ayurvedic medicine for diabetes which includes herbal supplements and natural herbal remedies, besides diabetic diet plans, for arresting the progress and onset of this metabolic disorder. Ayurvedic remedies are fast gaining popularity due to the proven efficacy of such treatments and ease of following these courses. Also, lesser probability of harmful side effects is also a major reason why more and more people prefer to go herbal these days for treating diabetes and many other major ailments.
Ayurvedic herbal cure for diabetes
Given below is a list of herbal substitutes that are believed to be effective in controlling the various symptoms and signs of diabetes. Numerous combinations of these herbal substitutes are available that have proven to be extremely effective ayurvedic treatment for diabetes.
- Indian Gooseberry: Also known as amla, the scientific name of Indian gooseberry is emblica officinalis. Rich in vitamin C, this bitter-sour fruit and its astringent juice are highly recommended to those suffering from diabetes.
- Bitter Gourd: As discussed above, due to the various naturally occurring compounds and enzymes contained in this terribly bitter fruit, karela (better known as bitter melon) and its juice is strongly advocated by herbal medicine practitioners as ayurvedic medicine for diabetes.
- Jambul: Commonly known as jamun in India, this glossy crimson black fruit is also known by the name of Rose Apple in most Occidental countries. Due to its ability to control metabolism of starch into sugar, this fruit and its seeds are highly regarded as potent controller of diabetes.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek seeds are a good source of 4-hydroxyisoleucine, an amino acid which has been proven to stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin. No wonder it is included among effective ayurvedic remedies for diabetes!
- Turmeric: The curcumin content in turmeric is responsible for decreasing insulin resistance, thereby arresting type 2 diabetes symptoms. Curcumin is a well-known antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.
- Triphala: Triphala is an Ayurvedic medicinal composition which is a mixture of three different herbal ingredients such as amla, bibhitaki and haritaki. Triphala is believed to be an effective pancreas stimulator, leading to enhanced production of insulin.
- Mango Leaves: Mango leaves contain certain organic chemical compounds that lower the body's blood sugar levels and controls blood pressure as well. Since diabetes is all about the body not being able to metabolize sugar, drinking mango leaf infused water is a good way to keep your blood sugar levels in check. The correct way of using mango leaves for diabetes is to wash and boil about 3-4 mango leaves before going to bed and leave it overnight with the leaves soaking in their own extract. In the morning, sieve the water so that the leaves are removed from it and drink it on an empty stomach.
Other natural ingredients that qualify as, and are used as ingredients in, Ayurvedic remedies for diabetes are margosa (neem, Azadirachta Indica), Shilajit (a herbal adaptogen), bay leaf, basil leaves, guggul, arjuna, white pepper, aloe vera, ginseng, cinnamon, onion, garlic, psyllium, guduchi, bishop's weed, etc. The most common features shared by these herbal remedies are their ability to stimulate pancreas to produce insulin and their efficacy in lowering the production of sugar to prevent high blood sugar
Also, performing pranayama
and yogic asanas
along with following herbal remedies are known to speed up the diabetes control process. Following a diet to avoid diabetes is a recommended cautionary measure for avoiding diabetes to keep this metabolic disorder at an arm's length. The best way a person suffering from diabetes can lead a near-perfect healthy life is by following a strict diabetes diet plan, religiously following the prescribed course of diabetes treatment, leading a healthy and active lifestyle and by imbibing positivity within his physical, as well as emotional, system by practicing wellness routines like yoga and meditation.