Many people complain about difficulty recalling information and lack of concentration while doing work. However, these issues are a result of unhealthy habits and leading a stressful life. Poor concentration has also been linked to suboptimal functioning of the brain. Here are some memory and concentration improvement tips:
- Exercise: In order to stimulate brain function and improve blood supply to the brain, daily exercise such as aerobics or cardio workouts is very essential. Adequate blood circulation to the brain means, it will function better. This in turn decreases the likelihood of falling prey to diseases that cause memory loss.
- Take Interest: Unless one takes keen interest in activities that are assigned, how is it possible to remain attentive and concentrate well. For instance, listening to a lecture without paying much attention can restrict your ability to recall important points afterwards.
- Fun Games: There are quite a few fun games online such as crossword or Sudoku puzzles that are designed to exercise your brain and improve mental performance. These online games also referred to as brain games help to improve focus and creativity.
- Identify Distractions: Many times, children and even adults cannot do their work, if they are sitting in a noisy environment. To be in focus, the surrounding environment should be free from distractions. Working on an empty stomach can also be a great source of distraction, so one should ensure that food cravings are satisfied, before concentrating on any assignment.
- Sufficient Sleep: Many people sleep late at night and get up early in the morning. However, these improper sleeping patterns can actually disrupt mental focus in all the activities that are carried out, throughout the day.
- Yoga: One can significantly enhance his ability to recall information as well as maximize concentration by following certain yoga techniques. For instance, pranayama, also referred to as breathing exercises can help you concentrate and boost memory. Daily meditation for 15-20 minutes is one of easiest way to control a flickering mind. Yoga techniques such as 'hatha' yoga can also assist in focusing the mind and increase problem solving ability.
- Foods: Following a healthy diet is very important for optimal brain function. Foods high in omega-3 essential fatty acids are considered as 'focus-enhancing foods' and recommended for better concentration. We need to eat foods that sharpen memory and promote brain health.
People facing difficulty concentrating or experiencing frequent forgetfulness should eat the following healthy foods:
- Fish (salmon, tuna), eggs
- Nuts such as cashew nuts, almonds, and walnuts
- Dairy products
- Whole grain breads
- Foods high in potassium (Bananas)
- Magnesium-rich foods (vegetables)
- Coffee (Avoid excessive intake)
One can also take vitamins to increase memory and concentration. Vitamins such as B12, B9, and B6 that are available in tablet form contain ingredients that positively affect the brain function.