Dental problems have been a part of human life and will continue to be because people don’t learn to keep their mouth and teeth clean. People should have knowledge on the adverse effects of not keeping their mouth and teeth healthy and one way to do so is by knowing the possible problems the mouth and teeth may encounter.
- One dental problem is bad breath. This is common to people who do not clean their mouth properly. It is caused by gum problems, oral cancer, plaque and cavities, bacteria as well as dry mouth and even certain dental conditions which make bad breath persistent. Another term for bad breath is halitosis and having this can affect the social life of a person.
- Tooth decay is amongst the commonest dental problems in the world. Termed as cavities, tooth decay is caused when plaque mixes with the sugar and starch content present in the food that we eat. When the two mix, acids that destroy the tooth enamel are formed. To prevent such problem, one is advised to brush teeth at least two times a day and floss regularly. Also, one needs to keep in mind that staying away from eating food that is high in sugar content helps.
- Gum problems or disease occur when the gums become infected. These are dental problems that can and should be avoided. According to studies heart attacks and strokes are somewhat linked to gum disease. It is also the common cause of adults losing their teeth. Gum diseases have two major stages and they are gingivitis and “periodontitis.”
- Millions of people are affected with oral cancer. This disease affects parts such as the lips, mouth and throat but it is curable especially if it is treated in its earliest stage.
- Mouth sores come in different types. Mouth sores are usually bothersome because they cause discomfort. A few examples of mouth sores are cold sores and fever blisters, canker sores and ulcers, and thrush.
- Tooth erosion is very common but people just don’t realize it. Tooth erosion is losing the structure of tooth and is caused by acid which destroys the enamel of the tooth. Symptoms for disease include sensitivity and cracking of the tooth.
- Although tooth sensitivity can be treated, it is highly annoying. Tooth sensitivity is equivalent to feeling discomfort or pain when people eat and drink something that is too hot or cold like ice cream and hot coffee.
- A stained tooth is another dental problem dealt with by people. This can be prevented by avoiding bad vices and by always brushing your teeth.
Dental emergencies and toothaches
are imperative. Although people try to avoid them, they still happen.
An unattractive smile due to mouth problems
can be a hindrance to a person’s happy life so it is best to consult your dentist about possible solutions.