Yellow teeth (stained teeth): Causes and treatment
- Posted on- Aug 27, 2015
- 613 Views
Yellow teeth are more common than we think. It is man's nature to look good at all times. Having a great smile is part of that. Stained teeth can turn a pretty smile to an ugly smile. A smile which is flashing discoloured dentition can be an undesirable sight to look at. It can have an effect on self-esteem of a person. An individual automatically becomes more conscious if he comes to know that he has yellow teeth. This is especially true, in cases where a person is informed of his discoloured teeth by someone. The person loses his confidence and becomes hesitant to flash a smile. Even if he does, he tries to hide his teeth. This has detrimental effects on the psychological aspects of a person. Although, having discoloured teeth might seem like a trivial issue, it can have telling effects on a person. Hence, it needs to be taken seriously and cured to restore the confidence.
Causes of yellow teeth (stained teeth)
Treatment of yellow teeth (stained teeth)
- Lack of dental hygiene or lack of proper dental care is the main cause of this condition. Many children or even elderly people brush their teeth in the morning, but they do not brush their teeth before going into bed. Flossing after eating, brushing your teeth at least twice everyday is absolutely essential if you wish to maintain the white colour.
- If your teeth are yellow right from your childhood, then the reason can be due to genetic factors. You can consult your dentist for knowing natural ways to whiten teeth. The dentist will also provide information on how to bleach teeth at home. Genetic factors leading to weak tooth structure right from birth can also be a contributing factor.
- Consumption of too much soda can remove the white enamel of your teeth. Similarly, consumption of excessive amount of sugar (cakes, chocolates, desserts, sweetened juices, and soft drinks, etc.) can also remove the outer coating of your teeth, and your teeth may turn yellow. Another main culprit is caffeine. Those who often drink tea or coffee tend to have much yellower teeth than non-drinkers.
- Yellow teeth can be caused by a disease affecting the enamel and dentin. There are several diseases, which can lead to discoloration of teeth. Sometimes, treatments like chemotherapy and radiation therapy can make your teeth turn yellow. Pregnant mothers should take care of themselves, as certain infections during pregnancy can cause tooth discoloration in the infant by affecting enamel development.
- The nicotine in cigarettes causes discoloration of teeth. Yellowing due to smoking, may be a reason for teeth to turn black afterwards. Avoid chewing tobacco, and even drinking plenty of red wine. Avoiding these foods and drinks can definitely save your trip to the dentist for a teeth whitening procedure.
- Just as your hair turn greyish, your teeth might also turn yellowish, as an effect of aging. Losing the natural colour, developing stains on the teeth is quite natural for elderly people.
- Certain antibiotics or certain other medications can also cause discoloration. Excessive use of medications should always be avoided.
The first step in treatment of yellow teeth
is to identify what is causing the condition. Usually, modification in dietary habits and proper maintenance of dental hygiene is good enough to stop the progress of yellowing of teeth.
A person can go for dental cleaning in which a dentist uses ultrasonic instruments to remove tartar and stains off the teeth. This is usually effective to remove the residual lodged calculus and improves the appearance of teeth. If a person wants to further improve the appearance of his/her teeth, he/she can opt for teeth whitening. Teeth whitening bleaches the discolouration and makes them appear whiter. Teeth whitening can be done in various forms such as teeth whitening pastes, teeth whitening gums, teeth whitening trays, professional tooth whitening
In conclusion, yellowing of teeth
is a dental condition which is very much reversible. One should maintain good dental hygiene to prevent discoloration of teeth. If you have yellow teeth, you can opt for the various tooth whitening systems to improve your smile. You can simply avoid the foods and beverages that cause yellowing of your teeth. You may learn proper brushing and flossing techniques required to maintain dental hygiene. You should consult your dentist
immediately if you feel that the colour of your teeth is changing.