|Article Views: 95|
|Food and nutrition for healthy eyesight|
|Posted on Aug 25, 2015|
|Our eyesight is a precious gift, so no matter what your age, taking care of your vision is essential to good health. The brain is primarily responsible for managing the vision process. The brain processes the light information our eyes collect to create the images that allows us to see. In order to make sure our brain's vision process maintains optimal performance, we need to nourish our eyes with healthy foods rich in vitamins and minerals. If we include vegetables, herbs, spices and fish in our diet, then our eyes will be in a proper condition. On the contrary, if our diet is loaded with saturated fats and sugar, then it may be doing nothing but contributing to the build up of free radicals in the body. Find below some of the best foods for good eyesight:|
- Carrots: Carrots are a powerhouse of the antioxidant beta-carotene. It is a substance that gets converted by the body into vitamin A, an important nutrient for maintaining good eyesight, and for preventing diseases such as night blindness, macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Avocado: This tropical fruit contains an antioxidant called lutein, which is known to protecting eye health. Moreover, the fruit’s richness in vitamin A, B, B6 and E shields the eyes from various disorders.
- Broccoli: This vegetable is loaded with antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin along with certain degree of vitamin C beta-carotene, all of which have eyesight improving properties.
- Spinach: This green vegetable is also a rich source of lutein and zeaxanthin, and a good source of beta-carotene. Lutein and zeaxanthin are naturally present in the retina and the macula of the eyes. They act as sunscreen for the eyes. So everyday intake of spinach increases the levels of these antioxidants in the eye, and help in preventing eye problems.
- Eggs: Chicken eggs are rich in the antioxidant lutein. According to experts, consuming one egg a day adds to the blood levels of lutein and zeaxanthin in the body, and that too without raising cholesterol levels.
- Tomatoes: Not only they look good in salads, they also help in keeping the vision sharp. Tomatoes greatly benefit the eyes due to their richness in vitamin C and lycopene. Lycopene is a carotenoid that is believed to protect the eyes against oxidative damage.
- Oranges: Oranges do more than just protecting the eyes. They are rich in vitamin C, potassium, folate, calcium and fibre. A combination of these nutrients helps improve and maintain good eyesight.
Some of the other foods that are considered well for eyesight include sweet potatoes, strawberries, almonds, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, berries, kidney beans and many more. These foods are not only good for your eyes but also benefit other organs of the body. So if your diet contains all these foods, then you need not worry about your eyes. However, if you experience any disease pertaining to eyes, consult an ophthalmologist immediately.
|Written by : Lazoi Team |