We are all affected in one way or another from allergies, whether it is summer or we are cleaning our homes. Respiratory allergic reactions are those that affect the organs and the airways that help us to breathe.
People with respiratory allergy are overly sensitive to certain things that most people don’t have a problem with. This would include pollen from plants, mould, dust, cockroaches and food.
When a person who is sensitive comes in contact with what causes them to be sensitive, the allergen, the immune system releases a large amount of chemical called histamine. A large amount of this histamine causes tissue swelling or inflammation or the tightening of muscles.
Symptoms of respiratory allergy
Some people are allergic to different things. One person may be allergic to pollen somebody else may be sensitive to something else. Some of the symptoms of respiratory allergy include:
- Watery or red eyes
- Stuffiness in the nose
- Shortness of breath
- Airways that are constricted and swollen (in extreme cases - called anaphylactic shock)
Common allergies that affect the respiratory system
- Hay Fever: This affects many people all over the world. Hay fever usually happens in the summer from pollen such as from the grass or even flowers.
- Food and Drug Allergies: You can get this condition from eating such things such as fish. You will usually develop an upset stomach or even a skin reaction and breathing problems. Medications can also cause some problems. Sometimes, you may develop a reaction if you eat peanuts, milk or eggs.
- Insect Allergies: Insects such as cockroaches is another major cause of problems. This usually takes place in cities. It also affects children in big urban cities. Bee stings for example can be very dangerous to overly sensitive people.
- Allergic Asthma: Asthma is one of the leading health concerns all over the world. This problem is a major cause of hospital admission for children each year.
Treatment for respiratory allergy
The best way to avoid an attack is to prevent the allergen. It is not always easy to do at times. You could place pets in another room where you are not in all the times. You should also make sure to regularly clean your home, so that you do not have a build up of dust. Also, make sure you do not spend a lot of time being in damp areas. This will definitely expose you to mould. If the problem gets worse, make sure to see your allergy expert