|Article Views: 2,305|
|Care for cancer patients: Recovering at home|
|Posted on Jul 20, 2015|
|Stress, depression, and management of side effects during cancer treatment are the main reasons that many cancer patients opt for home care service when recovering at home. They prefer the safety of their own homes where they can enjoy the comfort of familiar surroundings as well as the support of family and friends. When a patient decides to recover at home, the care team comprises of nurses, physiotherapists, doctors, and the patient’s family. |
A person may need home care during specific times to recover from surgery or a long hospital stay. Those who need longer-term care may need home care for more time. Receiving care at home often allows a person with cancer to spend less time in the hospital. It also brings a relief to the family members.
Home care is an option for patients who are actively seeking rehabilitation services. Plus, people who seek help with daily tasks, such as bathing, cooking, or cleaning may consider home care.
A home care option may be emotionally valuable for cancer survivors it can be a daunting task for family members, physically and mentally.
The strain of caring for a chronically ill patient has been shown to result in major depression, severe anxiety, and even post-traumatic stress disorder. Family members must cope with this and strengthen their bond with the patient.
Home care professionals A variety of professionals including doctors and nurses offer home care services to cancer survivors. Some of the other professionals include:
- Home health aide: This individual helps with daily tasks, such as bathing, dressing, using the toilet, and moving around. Some home health aides receive training to provide more complex services along with a nurse.
- Personal attendant: A personal attendant provides personal care services and performs simple household procedures like cooking, laundry, and basic cleaning.
- Companion: A companion offers comfort and companionship to people who cannot leave the home or stay at home alone. Some companions may perform limited household tasks. A companion may be employed to always stay with the person.
Forms of Home Care Service
- Acute Home Care: The objective of this service is to educate the patient and family about essential care until the patient is able to manage their recovery independently.
- Long-Term Home Health Agency: This type of agency checks the patient for a fixed number of hours per week. They also help with any changes or side effects of cancer treatments as well as other health issues.
Another option for the patient who wishes to recover at home is Private caregiver. If it is a person of your knowing, you should still put a contract in place. Not knowing an individual and hiring him/her for the job is not proposed by a doctor or healthcare agency.
Home care services for cancer patients have often depicted positive outcome. If a cancer survivor wishes to recover under home-care, it is a good option. Remember to check the credentials of the agency or the employee you hire.
|Written by : Lazoi Team |