Acidity is said to have occurred when a person suffers from heartburn, and also when formation of gas takes place in the stomach. It is a common problem which many suffer from, and occurs mainly due to excess secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. The hydrochloric acid helps in the digestion of food, but when released in excess, it starts affecting the inner lining of the stomach. This causes an acidic stomach. If not treated on time, the person might suffer from severe indigestion, gout, arthritis, and formation of ulcers either in the mouth or on inner walls of the stomach. When acidity takes place, the gastric juices move from the stomach to the lower oesophagus or the food pipe, in turn making it dysfunctional.
Causes of Acidity
It's important that one knows about the various factors leading to this problem. Here are some of the common causes, listed in brief:
- Consumption of food containing excess fat
- Excessive consumption of caffeine
- Excessive consumption of alcohol, and smoking
- Staying on empty stomach for a very long time
- Pregnancy, obesity, and old age
- Too much of junk food, and following an unhealthy diet
Symptoms of Acidity
There are several symptoms of acidity, which occur when there is an imbalance in the acid level in the stomach. Given below are some of the main stomach acidity symptoms
- During heartburn, the person experiences a burning pain in the chest, just behind the sternum. This occurs mainly during the night while the person is lying down.
- Ulcer formation is seen in the mouth as well as in the oesophagus tube. Ulcers in the mouth often make it difficult for the person to speak properly.
- Appetite becomes poor.
- A severe or minor burning in the upper part of the stomach is experienced. This is called dyspepsia.
- The person suffering from acidity might also show signs of constipation.
- Nauseating feeling may also be followed by vomiting.
- Mouth tastes bitter.
- Respiratory problems are accompanied by frequent coughing.
- Muscular contractions result in pain.
- The person also experiences pain as well as inflammation in the chest.
- Gastro-oesophageal acid reflux is another outcome.
- Earaches are minor symptoms.
Treatment Options for Acidity
If you experience any of the above symptoms, mainly a burning sensation in the chest, or pain in the upper abdomen, you should visit a gastroenterologist
immediately before the matter gets worse. There are several stomach acidity cures available in the market as well as in your home. Let us take a look at the various home remedies, as natural remedies are always better than the drugs and antacids that you get in the market.
- Bananas and pineapple juice are good for getting rid of heartburn and acid indigestion.
- Coconut water, yogurt, and cucumbers are also good for treating this condition.
- Consumption of basil leaves also helps.
- Taking two teaspoons of honey along with natural cider vinegar, just before meal, helps treating an acidic stomach.
- Mont juice or oil are some of the best homemade remedies.
- Jaggery dissolved in a glass of cold milk gives instant relief from acidity.
- Proper exercises, daily walks, and following a healthy diet are factors which prevent this condition altogether.
There are several antacids that you can get in the market. However, ask your doctor before taking any of these medicines. There are some surgeries that are carried out in order to control the excess secretion of stomach acid
. The important part of the entire treatment process is to prevent doing or consuming the things which often lead to excess accumulation of acid. If you show any of the symptoms mentioned above, visit a gastroenterologist