|Article Views: 3,049|
|7 Habits that lead to formation of plaque|
|Posted on Jun 23, 2015|
|Plaque is collection of bacteria, in the form of thin layer, which if not removed can cause cavities. Bacteria present in mouth are kept under control by brushing and cleaning and also by saliva which is secreted regularly. Improper cleaning and hygiene leads to rapid growth of bacteria which forms a layer over teeth. Regular acid attacks weaken and breakdown enamel of teeth which allows acid to dig a cavity in tooth. When bacteria enter into tooth and proliferate inside it, it cannot be removed by simple measures and person needs medical assistance. |
If plaque deposition is close to gum lining it can cause gum diseases as well. Apart from proper hygiene eating habits also contribute in causing plaque. Foods which are sugary and sticky in nature are major contributors in causing plaque, these foods get stick to teeth, lining of gums and spaces between teeth and feed bacteria present in mouth. Eating habits and practices to maintain proper hygiene work as effective measures to prevent plaque formation, here are few habits that cause plaque on your teeth and shall be avoided to keep dentures healthy.
- Brushing: Most often people ignore importance of proper brushing in the rush. People either brush in a hurry or do not brush properly covering entire mouth which allows bacteria to hide and breed. One should brush teeth twice in a day and before going to sleep necessarily. Food particles sticking over teeth or between teeth are food sources for bacteria it feeds on them and converts these food particles into acids to damage enamel. If a person does not brush before going to sleep, bacteria get ample time at night to feed on these food particles and cause damage. Improper brushing is one of the habits that cause plaque on your teeth.
- Flossing: There are spaces between teeth, foods and drinks get accumulated in these spaces and cannot be removed by toothbrush as its bristles are unable to reach between these spaces. Flossing is very necessary to wipe-out the food particles stuck in these spaces and prevent growth of bacteria. Not flossing regularly is one of the poor habits that cause plaque on your teeth.
- Mouthwash: This is another one of the commonly found habits that cause plaque on your teeth. Brushing and flossing are necessary part of maintaining oral hygiene but not using proper antiseptic mouthwash can jeopardize these efforts.
- Brushing too hard: If one uses toothbrush with hard bristles or puts extra pressure over toothbrush while brushing, it can damage the enamel. Brushing too hard or using toothbrush with hard bristles is another one of the commonly found bad habits that cause plaque on your teeth.
- Excessive soda: Drinking lemonades, beverages and other drinks which contain soda is another one of the poor habits that cause plaque on your teeth. These drinks cause acid build-up in stomach and change mouth’s PH balance which allows bacteria to grow and corrosion of enamel in the long run.
- Frequent snacking: Even if one brush and flosses regularly, frequent eating will always keep mouth unclean. Presence of chewed food in mouth is breeding ground for bacteria and also releases acids which damage enamel. Frequent snacking is one of the bad habits that cause plaque on your teeth.
- Unclean tongue: One must not ignore hygiene of tongue if want to stay away from oral problems. While brushing use proper tongue cleaner to clean tongue and remove traces of foods and drinks sticking over it. Unclean tongue can make dentures unclean and allow formation of plaque. Improper tongue cleaning is another one of the commonly found bad habits that cause plaque build-up on your teeth.
These habits can lead to the worse condition and can affect the strength of the teeth. The regular decaying can decrease the calcium content from teeth. This will lead to the further damaging because of the calcium deficiency in teeth.
|Written by : Lazoi Team |