The anterior cruciate ligament is a part of pair of ligament which is situated in the knees. The two ligaments are called cruciform ligaments, as they are arranged in a crossed formation. In the joint with its body position it is also known as cranial cruciate ligament. Four main cruciate ligaments is considered as the anterior cruciate ligament of the knee, providing 85% of the restraining force to anterior tibial displacement at 30 degrees and 90 degrees of knee flexion.
NON-OPERATIVE TREATMENT OF ACL
If you want non-operative treatment of ACL then you should have to consult a doctor before your ACL is not completely torn and your knee is in better condition and you have to avoid activities such as cutting, pivoting or similar action.
The mainstay of ACL non-operative treatment is strengthening of the muscles around the knees, especially the hamstrings. Focused therapy supervised by a physical therapist can be an effective way to accomplish this.
ACL is a complicated surgery related to knee in which doctors with the perfection are needed in the field of orthopedic and sports medicine.
There are various factors which should be taken in the mind during the discussion of ACL especially in athlete's personality that is age, previous knee injury, other injuries sustained, leg alignment and graft choice. Absolutely the torned down tissue of patient should be replaced with the tissue of that particular person or from cadaver. Graft choice could be confusing and will be requiring an expert counseling from a doctor.
ACL INJURIES IN WOMEN
According to the survey, it is considered that women are more prone to ACL as compared to men. The joint, through which the anterior cruciate ligament passes, along with the actual size of the anterior cruciate ligament, women have longer size of ACL as compared to men. This is the main reason behind women suffering more with ACL as compared to men. Due to these complications women's stretch their muscle less as compared to men. Accordingly, some reports shows that women have bid Q-angles as compared to men, they might be more susceptible to ACL tears.
If we talk about knees, then things become more complicated as compared to plain look from outside. There are lots of parts that connect and move it different ways in order for the knee joint as a whole to function the way it is supposed to.
When you start feeling inappropriate inside the knee during certain specific movement and to reach out for the normal activities, it is important to identify the cause of the pain or discomfort and preferably sooner rather than later. The knee contains numerous soft tissue parts, some of which require restriction of activities in order to heal, and some which actually don't heal at all if torn.
Knee area consist of different ligaments, tendons, muscles, cartilage and bones that can get injured during any accident, in which one of the more serious is the Anterior Cruciate Ligament, commonly referred to as the ACL. This ligament, if torn, does not heal and may result in ACL Surgery. Listed here are some of the symptoms that may point to a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament:
- Instability Pivoting - Stretching harshly or twisting or pivoting can give you danger result while playing sports such as soccer, netball, tennis and oztag, and it can happen in your own home from twisting too quickly or twisting too far.
- Instability changing direction -During running and walking, sometimes direction changing situation comes. It can come into the action while walking around the corner or taking sudden turns during playing.
- Instability going down stairs -If a situation arises when you are unable to walk down stairs without support then it clearly shows that you have suffered from ACL in the knee.
- Instability walking/running down hills - Similarly, going downstairs during the ACL prevents the thigh bone from slipping forward over the shin bone. If you have worn out ACL then it can preferably be out casted as you will feel uncomfortable while walking downstairs.
- Pain or weakness kicking a ball - This is for those who love to play leg sport. You can find yourself with ACL injury if you felt strained during delivery of kick on a football, Now for those who love to play a kicking based sport may find yourself with an ACL injury, if you are unable to kick a ball as hard as you normally would, without feeling some pain in your knee.
Ligament act as a rope to tie up various tissues between bones in the knees. One major cause also includes the crossing of two ligaments in the middle of the knee, connects your thighbone (femur) to your shinbone (tibia) and helps stabilize your knee joint.
People who experience an ACL injury are at higher risk of developing knee osteoarthritis, in which joint cartilage deteriorates and its smooth surface roughens. One of the causes of occurrence of arthritis can be the surgery of reconstructing ligament. Multiple factors likely influence the risk of arthritis, such as the severity of the original injury, the presence of related injuries in the knee joint or the level of activity after treatment.
ACL injury risk can be excluded or reduced by proper exercise. A physical therapist, athletic trainer or other specialist in sports medicine can provide assessment instruction and feedback that can help you reduce risks. Programs to reduce ACL injury include:
- Exercises that strengthen leg muscles, particularly hamstring exercises, to ensure an overall balance in leg muscle strength
- Exercises to strengthen the core: hips, pelvis and lower abdomen
- Training and exercise for proper techniques and knee position in jumping and landing
- Training to improve techniques for pivoting and cutting
Injury during sport can be prevented by wearing footwear and padding. If you downhill ski, make sure your ski bindings are adjusted correctly by a trained professional so that your skis will release appropriately when you fall.
Knee brace isn't solution to get prevented away from knee injury or ACL after surgery.
Once a diagnosis has been made and the initial acute injury management stage has passed, the first stage of ACL injury rehabilitation is to regain normal movement back into the injured knee through mobility exercises. If surgery is owned by the patient then doctor will do further treatment after reduced swell and normal knee movement to be regained before reconstructing surgery is performed, as this has been shown to improve the overall outcome.
After the surgery of knee pre-surgery exercise are required for two reasons to build up the strength in the muscles around the joint and to regain normal movement, both of which could result in a much better outcome after surgery.
If you feel a heavy stroke of ACL, then it is advised to take medication from professional as soon as possible to confirm the diagnosis and refer to an orthopedic consultant to decide whether surgery is indicated.
If you had suffered with the ACL tear, then instant first-aid is required including protection, rest, ice, compression and elevation. A cold therapy and compression wrap should be applied for at least the first 72 hours or until a specialist opinion is sought.
A diagnosis can't be created by professional until swelling reduces. Professionals will suggest you for MRI scans or X-ray to search for the real problem and diagnose it correctly.
The overall decision on whether to operate depends on a number of factors such as the athlete's age, their occupation, their lifestyle and the degree of instability within the knee, and an orthopedic surgeon will be able to advise on which treatment approach is preferable.
Unilateral ACL minimum cost is minimum 1,15,0009(INR) to maximum 2,30,000(INR).