There is no area of your life where sex addiction can't cause harm. Sex is an important part of a person's life with many beneficial aspects. It's a part of who we are and how we express ourselves sexually means a great deal. When a person has a healthy sex life it can lead to an overall sense of happiness. But when our sex lives and experiences becomes bad, an equal and opposite reaction can occur. Sex addiction doesn't get better over time on its own. It would be nice if it did, as recovery is a long and a difficult process, but the alternative is worse. It's important for sex addicts mulling over treatment to know how bad it can be, if they haven't experienced it already.
We can look at the areas of life affected by sex addiction in terms of broad categories: Social, emotional, physical, legal, financial, and spiritual.
Signs and symptoms of sex addiction
Here are some of the signs and symptoms:
- Staying up late to watch television or surf the Web.
- Looking at pornographic material such as magazines, books, videos and clothing catalogs.
- Frequently isolating themselves from spouses or partners and doesn't inform them of their whereabouts.
- Controlling during sexual activity or have frequent mood swings before or after sex.
- Demanding about sex, especially regarding time and place.
- Gets angry if someone shows concern about a problem with pornography.
- Offers no appropriate communication during sex.
- Lacks intimacy before, during and after sex, and offers little or no genuine intimacy in the relationship.
- Does not want to socialize with others, especially peers who might intimidate them.
- Fails to account for increasing number of toll - 800 or 900 - calls.
- Frequently rents pornographic videotapes.
- Seems to be preoccupied in public with everything around them.
- Has tried to switch to other forms of pornography to show a lack of dependency on one kind prepare rules to cut down but doesn't stick to them.
- Feels depressed.
- Increasingly dishonest.
- Hides pornography at work or home.
- Lacks close friends of the same sex.
- Frequently uses sexual humor.
Sex addiction hurts you emotionally
If you love someone or someone you love suffers from sex addiction, the would be no healthy boundaries. Sex is very important for them, they even shift from relationships to relationships and when they are alone, they feel like boring, empty and incomplete. As most sex addicts does not gives up, they might stay in relationships that are not healthy.
How sex addiction hurts you
Your social life suffers: Being in emotional uncertainty makes a person difficult to be around. Sex addiction's behavior also leads a person towards isolation, as the main goal in life becomes sexual gratification. Connections between spouse fray, friends and family gets weaker due to the increase in addiction and perhaps their own ignorance of the problem.
Physical health deteriorates and is put in jeopardy: For sex addicts, sex isn't about love or anything else. It is about the chemical rush in the brain which they get from sex acts and they might get confuse for deeper emotions. That rush isn't a bad thing, but when it's done, the addict can lose their desire for other things. Pornography addicts can become dependent on porn for arousal. Masturbation addicts can lose interest in intercourse. A person may only be able to perform sexually with their spouse, or with someone else, but doesn't enjoy it.
Safety also takes a backseat to feeding the addiction, leading to diseases and in some cases unwanted pregnancy. If a person frequents prostitutes they may have to go to unsafe areas of town, or in the case of "love addicts," put themselves in dangerous situations.
You can get into legal trouble: When a sex addict needs to resort to more extreme behavior for a thrill it can put them on the wrong side of the law. While all sex offenses are serious, these can start from a relative low point -like sexual harassment- to a middle point -such as voyeurism or exhibitionism- to severe -rape and child molestation.
Financial debt becomes a concern: While a lot of online sex material is free, the porn industry makes a lot of money every year, and it makes it from somewhere. Many addicts report accruing thousands in credit card debt from porn sites or phone sex lines. Prostitutes can be expensive, as can trips to strip clubs. Sex is a big business and can absorb money in many forms. Most of it is done via card, so sex addicts don't feel the money leaving their possession as much. Debt can follow sex addicts their entire life and ruin those who want to care about his family.
You suffer as a person: A person's spirituality tends to be personal and unique to them, but sex addiction can damage this side of a person regardless of their greed. Many religions have clear rules on sexuality and the affects of sex addiction on that can be obvious. Being a slave to one of their urges at the expense of other things is a terrible situation. Everyone wants to be controlled but the problems mentioned above can bring out the worst in a person and he regrets what he has done in the past.
All of these harmful effects can influence one another and in turn perpetuate the addiction. It's crucial for a sex addict to realize this and seek treatment as early as possible.