International Yoga Day is an international event which is celebrated each year on June 21, 2017. International yoga day is also known as world yoga day. June 21 was declared as international yoga day by the United Nations General Assembly on 11th December, 2014 after the call by Indian Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi to the United Nations General Assembly on 27th September, 2014 during his address to United Nations General Assembly. First ever international yoga day was celebrated on 21st June, 2015.
Shri Narendra Modi stated while addressing 21st June as international yoga day "Yoga is an invaluable gift of India's ancient tradition. Yoga embodies unity of mind and body thought and action restraint and fulfillment harmony between man and nature a holistic approach to health and well-being. It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness within you, the world and the nature. By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, yoga can help us deal with climate change. Let us work towards adopting an International Yoga Day." 21st June was especially suggested by Shri Narendra Modi for international yoga day because this day is the longest day in Northern Hemisphere regions.
International Yoga Day Celebration
International yoga day is supported by various global leaders. International yoga day is celebrated by the people of more than 170 countries including USA, Japan, and Russia etc. International yoga day is an annual event which is celebrated on an international level by organizing various yoga camps, yoga competition, debates, meditation, meetings, variety of cultural program and more activities to enhance the awareness about yoga benefits among common public all over the world. International yoga day is celebrated to educate people and letting them know about regular yoga practice lead to the better mental, physical and intellectual health which positively changes the lifestyle of the people and increase the level of well-being. Yoga is considered to be very important and beneficial for all human being if it is practiced by all on daily basis in the early morning.
Yoga is word which is derived from Sanskrit word "Yuj". Yoga means union of the individual consciousness or soul with the Universal Consciousness or Spirit or in other words yoga is a group of physical, mental and spiritual practices which was originated in India. Yoga is believed to be 10,000 year old Indian body knowledge. A major importance has given to yoga in Jainism, Buddhism and Hindusim. Yoga has majorly five principal meanings, which are as follows:
Aims and Objective of International Yoga Day
The major objective of celebrating International yoga day is as follows:
- Educating people about the amazing and natural benefits of yoga.
- Practicing yoga to connect people to the nature.
- Making people get used of meditation through yoga.
- Drawing attention of people towards the holistic benefits of yoga from all over the world.
- Reducing the rate of health challenging diseases in people by practicing yoga regularly.
- Bringing different communities from all over the world much closer together to spend a day for health from busy schedule.
- Enhancing growth, development and spreading peace all over the world by bringing people together.
- Helping people in their bad situations themselves by getting relief from stress through yoga and meditation.
- Strengthening the global coordination among people through yoga.
- Making people aware of physical and mental diseases and its solutions through practicing yoga regularly.
- Protecting people from unhealthy practices and promoting and respecting the good practices among people to make their health better.
- Educating people about their rights of good health and healthy lifestyle, so that people can completely enjoy the highest standard of physical and mental health.
- Linking between protection of health and sustainable health development of the people.
- Winning over all the health challenges among the people through regular yoga practice.
- Promoting better metal and physical health of people through practicing yoga regularly.