World No Tobacco Day is an annual event that is celebrated on 31st May each year. World No Tobacco Day was announced to be celebrated on 31st May by World Health Organization (WHO) in 1987 with a motive to highlight the risks associated with tobacco use. World health Organization also encourages governments to adopt effective policies to reduce smoking and other tobacco use.
World No Tobacco Day is among eight official global public health campaign marked by World health Organization (WHO). World health organization (WHO) states a report which shows that each year around 7 million people are killed by the use of tobacco.
The main objective of World Health Organization is for celebrating the World No Tobacco Day all over the world is to promote and encourage the common public to reduce or stop the use of tobacco or its products consumption as it may lead to the some lethal diseases (cancer, heart problem) or even death. World No Tobacco Day also aims to keep constant watch on the companies involved in the sell, purchase or advertisements of tobacco or its products to enhance the consumption of their products.
World Health Organization organizes World No Tobacco Day with different theme every year. World No Tobacco Day event celebration plays a vital role in drawing attention of common public and government towards the real need of all the effective measures to be taken for preventing tobacco consumption on world level as well as makes the environment a pollution-free environment. The themes of World No Tobacco Day are as follows:
- The theme for 1987 was "1st Smoke-free Olympics (1988 Olympic Winter Games - Calgary)".
- The theme for 1988 was "Tobacco or Health: choose health".
- The theme for 1989 was "Women and tobacco: the female smoker: at added risk".
- The theme for 1990 was "Childhood and youth without tobacco: growing up without tobacco".
- The theme for 1991 was "Public places and transport: better be tobacco free".
- The theme for 1992 was "Tobacco free workplaces: safer and healthier".
- The theme for 1993 was "Health services: our windows to a tobacco free world".
- The theme for 1994 was "Media and tobacco: get the message across".
- The theme for 1995 was "Tobacco costs more than you think".
- The theme for 1997 was "United for a tobacco free world".
- The theme for 1996 was "Sport and art without tobacco: play it tobacco free".
- The theme for 1998 was "Growing up without tobacco".
- The theme for 1999 was "Leave the pack behind".
- The theme for 2000 was "Tobacco kills, don't be duped".
- The theme for 2001 was "Second-hand smoke kills".
- The theme for 2002 was "Tobacco free sports".
- The theme for 2003 was "Tobacco free film, tobacco free fashion".
- The theme for 2004 was "Tobacco and poverty, a vicious circle".
- The theme for 2005 was "Health professionals against tobacco".
- The theme for 2006 was "Tobacco: deadly in any form or disguise".
- The theme for 2007 was "Smoke free inside".
- The theme for 2008 was "Tobacco-free youth".
- The theme for 2009 was "Tobacco health warnings".
- The theme for 2010 was "Gender and tobacco with an emphasis on marketing to women".
- The theme for 2011 was "The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control".
- The theme for 2012 was "Tobacco industry interference".
- The theme for 2013 was "Ban tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship".
- The theme for 2014 was "raise taxes on tobacco".
- The theme for 2015 was "Stop illicit trade of tobacco products".
- The theme for 2016 was "Get ready for plain packaging".
- The theme for 2017 is "Tobacco - a threat to development".
Individuals also took part in this events by committing not to use tobacco again and those who had already used tobacco can quit the habit or seek help in doing so, which will in turn protect their health as well as people exposed to second-hand smoke, including children, other family members, and friends. Money not spent on tobacco can be, in turn, used for other essential uses, including the purchase of healthy food, health care, and education.