National Dengue Day is an annual event which is celebrated on 16th May which is concluded by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. It is celebrated to spread the awareness to control dengue in our locality and initiate preventive actions which continues till the transmission season ends.
Dengue is a viral disease which is transmitted by the bite of Aedes Mosquito, which bites during day time and this virus can be acquired by a single bite.
This viral disease causes two types of fever, which are:
Classic Dengue Fever (or Break Bone Fever): Classic Dengue fever causes pain in patient’s joints, it causes pain while moving, walking and in every movement.
Haemorrhagic Fever: Haemorrhagic Fever is not only painful but deadly too. It usually results in abnormal bleeding from nose, gums and in urine.
Dengue virus develops in a person’s body after 5-6 days of being bitten by infective mosquito. It occurs in all age group and both men and women but deaths occur more in children. Most common symptoms of dengue virus are:
If any of these symptoms are identified in a person, then he/she may be affected from dengue virus. In any case which matches the signs and symptoms, should contact to the nearest health unit or District Program Officer (National Vector Borne Disease Control Program) of your locality. This virus is transmitted from one person to another person when a mosquito bites an affected person it picks up the germs of the disease along with the blood, then the dengue virus develops in a mosquito within few days and when the infected mosquito bites a healthy person then the virus is injected and the healthy person also gets affected by dengue virus and after few days the person becomes sick with fever and other symptoms of dengue.
These mosquitoes breed in any kind of water container even having a small amount of water like tires, jar, mud pot, desert cooler etc. and many more places where rain water stored and mosquito’s eggs can live without water for 1 year.
National Dengue day is celebrated to spread awareness about dengue, its symptoms, causes and preventive measures. Many activity camp is started on this day every year and continue till transmission season ends. Some of the activities are:
Rapid Fever Survey.
- Collection and Examination of Blood Smears for Malaria.
- Collection of 5% Serum Samples of Dengue suspected cases for viral isolation.
- Entomological Survey for search of Dengue Vector i.e. Aedes Aegypti.
- Container survey: House Index (H.I.), Brautaeu’s Index (B.I.)
- Workshop for all district level officers regarding Dengue prevention and control.
- Arrangement for plate–late count and treatment of dengue cases in Govt. Institutions.
- Guidelines issued to all District level officers.
- Health Education to community through different Medias.
- Visits of Health authorities from various levels.
Every individual should also take care of her/him as it is your responsibility to take care of your society and its well being by taking some personal preventive measures:
- Wear clothes that cover the whole body in day time.
- Use appropriate wire mesh in doors and windows of the house.
- Ensure that at least pregnant women and children sleep under mosquito net during day time, preferably insecticide treated bed nets.
- Insecticide treated mosquito nets are more effective as they kill mosquitoes as well as other bugs and insects.
- Use mosquito repellent lotion, creams like good-knight, odomos etc.
We should not ignore dengue virus as it can rapidly spread by mosquito bite from one person to another person and it can be deadly. So, never ignore a single symptom of dengue.
If there is any suspected case which matches the signs and symptoms, tests that may be done to diagnose this condition are-
Thinking about where to go for these tests? So Lazoi.com is the answer.
Visit Lazoi.com, Lazoi is a unique online platform which comes with complete healthcare solution for you and your family. Lazoi provides a database of doctors online with their specialization and it also books an appointment for you at a single click it also connects patients to diagnostic center and pharmacists. So visit Lazoi.com or download its official app from Google Play and App Store for free and book your appointment on a single click.