Most of the people are not satisfied with their body shape, someone wants to lose weight and someone wants to gain muscle and get in shape. However, the era of technology has resulted in less physical inactivity. Therefore, many people join gym to maintain their overall health and get engaged in some sort of physical activity. But initial days of workout in gym can be extremely sore resulting in delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) and puts you in the dilemma whether you can carry on with your fitness goals or not. Don’t worry. Here are 7 tips that can help you overcome post workout pain, so that you can continue with your workout and stay healthy and in shape.
- Ice Pack- For new gym goers starting days are quite regressive and may have repercussion like unnecessary swelling of muscles. Applying ice pack on your muscles can reduce inflammation. Ice Pack scales down the swelling in the muscle tissues lowering your metabolic activity letting your muscle to recover after work out.
- Stretching- After work out your muscles become stiff, and the muscle fibres get shorter. When you do stretching your muscles becomes more responsive and flexible. Stretching allows oxygen to circulate through your muscles, leading to rapid recovery from delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Stretching should be done before and after workout.
- Massage- The main cause of the muscular pain after gym is lactic acid produced by the tissues in your muscles. Massage can aid muscles by breaking down the lactic acid and helping you recover from after workout pain. Massage can be done for at least 15 minutes to soothe pain after a tough workout.
- Hot Steam Tub- A dip in a hot tub can help you sore muscles to relax. The heat from the hot tub causes the body to release endorphins which can have calm effects on your muscle. Steaming your body at bearable temperature also helps to increase blood circulation which further soothes your aches and pains.
- Caffeine- Caffeine has the capacity to reduce DOMS by holding the central nervous receptors that cause pain. Caffeine elevates your performance in gym and reduces fatigue and helps in burning excessive calories. Caffeine also aids ageing muscles to keep producing power. A cup of coffee should be taken 5 minutes before starting your daily workout to reduce soreness.
- Eat berries and cherries to make your muscle merry- Blueberries and cherries help in producing melatonin hormone, resulting in sound sleep and faster recovery from sore and torn muscles. Blueberries and cherries also have potential of eliminating toxins from your body produced during a gym session. Strawberries, blackberries, plums and raspberries are also loaded with nutrients and antioxidants.
- Foam Roller- After a vigorous session of workout foam roller can be used to lift muscle pain, soreness and fatigue. Foam roller is also the most conventional way to get rid of muscle spasm. Pressure the sore muscles using the foam roller to relive soreness in the tissues and promoting blood flow. Rolling can be done for 5 minutes, divided in 30 seconds sessions on a concentrated muscle.