Hug day is the seventh day of the Valentine’s week which is celebrated every year across the globe on 13th Feb. It is one of the important days of the Valentine’s week where people from all age groups hug their partner, friend, loved ones and etc to express their love and affection. Hugging has the capability to relieve one from any problems and brings freshness to the mind.
Hugging has multiple health benefits as well. It may improve the psychological and physical development of the person being hugged. It strengthens the immune system and decreases the risk of chronic heart diseases by decreasing the stress hormone, cortisol level, in blood. It has been proved that a hug of just 20 seconds brings a lot of happiness as well as enhances the level of oxytocin hormone. It prevents the persons hugging each other from high blood pressure and high heart rate. A hug from a friend or loved one has the power to uplift your mood, when feeling down. Here are few more reasons for you to hug your loved ones frequently:
- Hugging fights common cold: According to a study, hugging combats common cold and flu. The study also revealed that hugging was effective in protecting people from stress-induced viral infection. This is why it’s healthy to hug your loved ones often.
- Gives a boost to the immune system: While giving a hug, you exert pressure on the breastbone and when this happens, an emotional charge is created. This procedure stimulates the thymus gland which regulates the production of white blood cells in the body, thereby, keeping you healthy.
- Hugging relieves stress: When you hug someone, the act effectively suggests supporting that person. Multiple hugs or more than 1 hug can eliminate stress or the effect of stress. So if you see your loved one in distress, give a hug.
- Hugging helps lower high blood pressure: When you hug someone, the levels of oxytocin increases. This hormone plays a key role in the reduction of cortisol in the body, thereby, lowering blood pressure levels.
- Hugging helps burn calories: You may not believe it but while hugging you actually burn 12 calories. This means when you hug someone, you burn calories which helps in maintaining weight.
- Hugging helps ease muscle tension: A hug can ease tension by fighting pain and improving blood circulation. It also promotes blood flow in the soft tissues, thereby aiding in relaxing tensed muscles.