Details of Amikacin Salt (Generic Drug)
Amikacin is an antibiotic that fights bacteria. Amikacin is used to treat severe or serious bacterial infections. However, Amikacin can harm your kidneys, and may also cause nerve damage or hearing loss, especially if you have kidney disease or use certain other medicines. Do not use amikacin if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby.
Amikacin is used to prevent or treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. Amikacin belongs to a class of drugs known as aminoglycoside antibiotics. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria. Amikacin is given by injection into a vein or muscle as directed by your doctor. It is usually given every 8 hours or as directed by your doctor. The dosage is based on your medical condition, weight, and response to treatment. Laboratory tests (such as kidney function, levels of drug in the blood) may be performed to help find the best dose for your condition.
Contact your doctor immediately if you have hearing loss, or a roaring sound in your ears severe or ongoing dizziness kidney problems-little or no urinating painful or difficult urination swelling in your feet or ankles feeling tired or short of breath weak or shallow breathing numbness or tingly feeling muscle twitching or seizure (convulsions) or severe stomach pain, diarrhoea that is watery or bloody.
• Amikacin+atracurium- Amikacin and atracurium combination can increase the blood levels or add to the adverse effects of atracurium. Talk with your doctor before using these medications together.
• Amikacin+bacitracin- Using amikacin together with bacitracin could increase side effects of these medications and can cause damage to the kidneys or nerves.
• Amikacin+capreomycin- Using amikacin together with capreomycin could increase side effects of these medications and can cause damage to the kidneys or nerves.
• Amikacin+deferasirox- Deferasirox may cause kidney problems, and combining it with other medications that can also affect the kidney such as amikacin may increase that risk. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications.
• Amikacin+furosemide- Ask your doctor before using amikacin together with furosemide this can increase the effects of amikacin. This can cause damage to the kidneys or hearing loss. This may be more likely to occur in older adults or those with high dosages of drug, pre-existing kidney problems, and dehydration.
• Amikacin+rocuronium- Amikacin and rocuronium combination can increase the blood levels or add to the adverse effects of atracurium. Talk with your doctor before using these medications together.
Mechanism of action
Amikacin belongs to group of medicines called aminoglycosides. It works by interrupting bacterial protein synthesis, produces non-functional peptides, and inhibits the bacterial growth.
Pregnancy Category : D