Details of Alprostadil Salt (Generic Drug)
Alprostadil is used to treat erectile dysfunction (impotence) and to help diagnose certain causes of this disorder. Alprostadil is also used to improve blood flow in newborn babies with a certain genetic heart condition. Alprostadil relaxes blood vessels and muscles in the penis. This increases blood flow into the penis, causing an erection. You should not use Alprostadil if you are allergic to alprostadil, or if you have sickle cell anaemia, leukaemia, a bone marrow tumour, a curved or deformed penis, penile fibrosis or Personae’s disease, a penile implant, or if you have been told you should not have sexual intercourse for health reasons.
Alprostadil is a vasodilator, prescribed for erectile dysfunction (impotence inability to get or keep an erection) in men. It is also used to improve blood flow in newborn babies with a certain genetic heart condition and who depend on patent ductus arteriosus for survival. Alprostadil injection is also sometimes used in combination with other tests to diagnose erectile dysfunction. It relaxes the muscles and blood vessels in the penis to keep enough blood in the penis so that an erection can occur.
Alprostadil may lead to flushing, slow heart rate, low blood pressure, cardiac arrest, and edema. other rare, but serious, cardiovascular effects include heart failure, second-degree heart block, shock, uncoordinated contraction of the cardiac muscle fever, seizures, cerebral bleeding diarrhoea, urethral pain, urethral burning, urethral bleeding/spotting, testicular pain, penile pain, prolonged erection, penile fibrosis, injection-site blood clot, penis disorder pathological activation of blood clotting, bleeding, cortical proliferation of long bones, sepsis, back pain, pelvic pain, accidental injury.
• Alprostadil+avanafil- Avanafil can add to the blood pressure-lowering effect of alprostadil. Contact your doctor if you experience signs and symptoms of low blood pressure such as dizziness, light-headedness, fainting, flushing, headache, or a rapid pulse or heart rate.
• Alprostadil+brimonidine ophthalmic- After using brimonidine ophthalmic, some of the medication may be absorbed into the bloodstream and occasionally produce cardiovascular side effects such as decreases in blood pressure and heart rate. Combining it with alprostadil or other medications that can also have these effects may increase the risk.
• Alprostadil+canagliflozin- Canagliflozin may cause salt and water loss, which may increase the risk of dehydration and low blood pressure when used with alprostadil or similar medications. You may experience headache, dizziness, light-headedness, fainting or changes in pulse or heart rate.
• Alprostadil+dapagliflozin- Dapagliflozin may cause salt and water loss, which may increase the risk of dehydration and low blood pressure when used with alprostadil or similar medications. You may experience headache, dizziness, light-headedness, fainting or changes in pulse or heart rate.
• Alprostadil+iloprost- Iloprost and alprostadil may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience dizziness, light-headedness, fainting, flushing, headache, or a rapid pulse or heart rate.
Mechanism of action
Alprostadil is similar to a natural substance found in the body called prostaglandin E1 and belongs to a class of drugs known as vasodilators. It widens blood vessels and increases blood flow to the penis making it easier to have an erection.
Pregnancy Category : C