Details of Aripiprazole Salt (Generic Drug)
Aripiprazole is an antipsychotic medication. It works by changing the actions of chemicals in the brain. Aripiprazole is used to treat the symptoms of psychotic conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder (manic depression). It is also used together with other medications to treat major depressive disorder in adults. Aripiprazole is also used to treat irritability and symptoms of aggression, mood swings, temper tantrums, and self-injury related to autistic disorder in children who are at least 6 years old. Aripiprazole is not approved for use in psychotic conditions related to dementia. It may increase the risk of death in older adults with dementia-related conditions.
Aripiprazole is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, Tourette's disorder, and irritability associated with autistic disorder). It may also be used in combination with other medication to treat depression. Aripiprazole is known as an antipsychotic drug (atypical type). It works by helping to restore the balance of certain natural chemicals in the brain (neurotransmitters). This medication can decrease hallucinations and improve your concentration. It helps you to think more clearly and positively about yourself, feel less nervous, and take a more active part in everyday life. Aripiprazole can treat severe mood swings and decrease how often mood swings occur.
There are certain side effects of using aripiprazole including very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, feeling like you might pass out severe agitation, distress, or restless feeling twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs mask-like appearance of the face, trouble swallowing, problems with speech seizure (convulsions) thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself low blood cell counts-sudden weakness or ill feeling, fever, chills, sore throat, swollen gums, painful mouth sores, red or swollen gums, skin sores, cold or flu symptoms, cough, trouble breathing or high blood sugar-increased thirst, increased urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odour, drowsiness, dry skin, weight loss.
• Aripiprazole+propoxyphene- Using propoxyphene together with aripiprazole may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination.
• Aripiprazole+bupropion- Talk to your doctor before using bupropion together with aripiprazole. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, bupropion can increase the blood levels of aripiprazole, which may increase other side effects.
• Aripiprazole+clozapine- Clozapine may occasionally cause serious cardiovascular side effects such as low blood pressure and cardiac or respiratory arrest, and combining it with other medications that can also have these effects such as aripiprazole may increase the risk.
• Aripiprazole+iopamidol- Before you undergo any imaging procedure where iopamidol may be injected directly into the spine let your doctor know if you are currently being treated with aripiprazole. Injection of iopamidol into the spine can sometimes cause seizures, and the risk may be increased if you are also using other medications that can cause seizures such as aripiprazole.
• Aripiprazole+metoclopramide- Using metoclopramide together with aripiprazole is not recommended. Treatment with either medication alone can cause Parkinson-like symptoms and abnormal muscle movements, and combining them may increase that risk. The most serious of the movement disorders associated with the use of these medications is a condition known as tardive dyskinesia (TD).
Mechanism of action
Aripiprazole belongs to a group of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It works by changing the activity of certain natural substances (dopamine) in the brain. This medication is an atypical antipsychotic and antidepressant, prescribed for schizophrenia and depression. It regulates abnormal conditions like disturbed or unusual thinking, loss of interest in life, and strong or inappropriate emotions in adults and children greater than 13 years.
Pregnancy Category : C