What is Atrial Septal Defect?
The atrial septal defect (ASD) is a hole in the wall between the two upper chambers of the heart. There are two types of defect associated with the atrial septal - large atrial septal defect and small atrial septal defect. The large atrial septal defect may cause a major damage to the heart and lungs, whereas small atrial septal defect may occur incidentally, and may not be harmful or cause a problem. An individual whose atrial septal defect remains undetected for some time might face a shorter span of life because of a heart failure, or blood pressure that is unreasonably high and might even affect the working of arteries in the lungs. The atrial septal defect occurs in the interatrial septum, allowing pulmonary venous return from the left atrium to pass directly to the right atrium. Atrial septal defect is a heart defect that is present from birth. Atrial septal defects (ASDs) that aren't diagnosed until adulthood can damage the heart and lungs, shortening life. Many babies born with Atrial septal defect (ASD) don't have symptoms. By the age of 30, adults may notice symptoms such as shortness of breath, heart palpitations, fatigue, swelling in the legs, feet or abdomen and heart murmurs. Small Atrial septal defect (ASD) may close by their own. Medium-to-large-sized Atrial septal defect (ASD) may need closure by device or surgical correction.
What are the symptoms of Atrial septal defect?
In some individuals, symptoms begin by the age of 30, and in some, the symptoms do not manifest at all. However, the symptoms of Atrial septal defect shall vary depending upon factors such as age.
- Breathlessness, especially when doing a physical activity.
- Extreme exhaustion.
- Inflammation in the abdomen or legs.
- Infections in the lungs.
- Unusual murmur of the heart, which can be detected through a stethoscope.
- Skipped heartbeats.
What is the cost for the treatment of Atrial septal defect in India?
Which specialty of doctor is to be consulted for the treatment of Atrial septal defect in India?
Which hospital is to be preferred for the treatment of Atrial septal defect in India?
- Medanta - The Medicity hospital in India is to be preferred for the treatment of Atrial septal defect in India.
1. What are the causes of Atrial septal defect?
- The cause for atrial septal defect is unknown. The defects are believed to be acquired by a fusion of some genes, and other concerns. For instance, the kind of things the mother acquires in contact with her surroundings or the kind of diet she is taking, or the medicines she is consuming.
2. What are the risks associated with Atrial septal defect?
- The main risk factors of the Atrial septal defect include:
3. What are the possible ways to prevent Atrial septal defect?
- In order to prevent the occurrence of Atrial septal defect, one should take care of the following:
4. How is Atrial septal defect diagnosed?
- This Atrial septal defect is diagnosed when the baby is born. At Medanta- The Medicity hospital in India, if a defect like Atrial septal defect is doubted, the doctor might first confirm the diagnosis through the following tests:
5. How is Atrial septal defect treated?
- At Medanta- The Medicity hospital in India, following are the procedures used to treat the Atrial septal defect:
- Cardiac Catheterization
- The procedure is designed to minimize Atrial septal defect effects without the surgery. It requires locating the Atrial septal defect (ASD) closure device in the heart through thin flexible tubes called catheters. The experts make a small cut in the groin and run the catheter through the blood vessel into the heart. The Atrial septal defect (ASD) closure device is positioned across the Atrial septal defect (ASD) to close it.
- Open - Heart Surgery
- An open-heart surgery will be required to remove the Atrial septal defect, depending upon how intense it is in nature, its size, and its position in the heart.