What is Androgenetic Alopecia?
Androgenetic alopecia is a form of hair loss which is seen both in men and women. In men, this condition is called male - pattern baldness. Baldness in men is more well - defined in comparison to women. In men, starting above the temples, the hairline starts receding eventually, causing partial or complete baldness. While in women, it causes thinning of the hairs, and rarely leads to complete baldness.
Androgenetic alopecia is caused due to prolonged effect of androgen on the hair follicles. In some cases Androgenetic alopecia might also be due to other factors like seasonal changes, malnutrition, anemia, etc.
What are the symptoms of Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness?
What is the cost for the treatment of Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness in India?
Which specialty of doctor is to be consulted for the treatment of Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness in India?
Which hospital is to be preferred for the treatment of Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness in India?
- Medanta - The Medicity hospital in India is to be preferred for the treatment of Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness in India.
- What are the causes of Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness?
- What are the major risk factors of Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness?
- What are the possible ways to prevent Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness?
- Following measures can be adopted to prevent the Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness:
- How is Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness diagnosed?
- At Medanta- The Medicity hospital in India, if a defect like Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness is doubted, the doctor might first confirm the diagnosis through the following tests:
- Blood tests
- Thyroid tests
- Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) and testosterone analysis in women
- Total iron-binding capacity and transferrin saturation
- How is Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness treated?
- At Medanta- The Medicity hospital in India, specialists may employ various methods to treat androgenetic alopecia or baldness:
- Surgical Transplantation
It is the traditional and more popular form of therapy. Surgically, hair transplantation is done by harvesting hair from the donor's scalp through follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS), or follicular unit extraction (FUE). This is a safe procedure and gives natural looking hair.
- Low-level light therapy
Low-level light therapy is a laser therapy that is believed to facilitate cellular respiration, which leads to increased ATP (adenosine triphosphate) production in the cells. Low-level light therapy is a new treatment approved by FDA.
- Medical Procedure
Conventional treatment for hair loss involves drug treatment. There are many drugs like minoxidil, finasteride available to treat Androgenetic alopecia or Baldness.