Test Details & Preparation
Test details and preparation:
- Vitamin D (containing D2 or D3 form) is a vitamin which helps body absorbs phosphorous and calcium. Vitamin D helps the body maintain string bones.
- The test is done to know the accurate Vitamin D concentration in the body.It is ordered when
- A person feels bone weakness.
- Abnormal calcium, phosphorous and/or parathyroid hormone level.
- Doctor feels a high risk of vitamin D deficiency.
- For periodic examination.
- No preparation is needed before doing the test.
- The blood sample is taken by inserting a needle in the vein by applying pressure through a rubber band.
- The normal range vary from 60-100ng/mL(nanogram/milliliter)
- Results may vary with age, gender , blood samples taken and also from lab to lab.
- Less or more value may determine vitamin deficiency(>20ng/mL)or vitamin toxicity(<120ng/mL)
- Vitamin D deficiency can cause bone deformation or bone abnormalities.
- Vitamin D toxicity can cause building up of calcium in our blood which can cause nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, frequent urination and kidney problems can also occur.
- Proper diet and other methods should be taken to decrease or increase Vitamin D in our body.